As an initial step, individuals who are interested in volunteering their time or service should contact the site main office staff. Prospective volunteers will be required to complete a written information/agreement form, followed by an interview with an administrator or designee of the staff (if deemed necessary by site administration). If the potential volunteer has a specific teacher, grade level or subject, they wish to work with please note this on the volunteer form. Please refer to AUSD Board Policy 1240 for more information on school site volunteers.
In the interest of protecting the safety of students and staff, all school volunteers working with students without supervision will be responsible to provide evidence of a criminal background check via fingerprinting as well as a health and safety check in accordance with district board policy. Information collected during this screening process will be maintained as confidential to the extent allowed by law.
As a volunteer at BDMS, it is critical that we maintain confidentiality and a positive working relationship with students. Therefore, volunteers will not have access to confidential information relative to students’ records. It is imperative that you refer all confidential and privacy matters with the administration if you have concerns.
Outlined below are the procedures for volunteers to follow while at Black Diamond Middle School:
- Sign in and out at the beginning and end of each daily volunteer assignment. Keep office informed of volunteer assignments in the volunteer log binder.
- Wear a volunteer identification name tag or badge at all times.
- Be dependable and punctual.
- Have a positive attitude and be enthusiastic and cheerful.
- Be a positive role model for students.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with school personnel.
- Be flexible and nurturing to students.
- Let the teacher or person in change know how the volunteer assignment is progressing.
- Praise the students honestly and frequently.
- Call the school if you cannot complete your volunteer service for the day.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out our BDMS Parent Volunteer Request Form.